The University of Bari was founded in 1925. It is a state-supported university which is divided into 12 faculties. Each faculty has its own set of departments that focus on the arts sciences, mathematics, social sciences, literature, medicine, law, and education.
The university offers various courses for undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate students. Aside from teaching, the university is also focused on scientific research at the doctorate level. The University of Bari research centres are highly-interactive, having connections among different departments, universities, and other research centres.
The University of Bari is one of the most prestigious universities in Southern Italy and it is one of the largest universities in Italy, with a student population of around 60,000. A recent name change refers to the statesman Aldo Moro (1916-1978), a student of law there until 1939 who then served as ordinary professor of philosophy of Law and Colonial Policy (1941) and of Criminal Law (1942).
The University has been awarded the following ranking positions:
- ranked 359 by the Center for World University Rankings (CWUR) (2016)
- ranked 437 by the CWTS Leiden Ranking (2016)
- ranked 401-500, Times Higher Education (THE) World University Ranking (2016)
- ranked over 500th position by Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) (2016)
- ranked over 700th position by QS World University Rankings (2016)
The University is one of the 48 Italian higher education institutions in the CWUR list of the top 1000 universities in the world for 2016. Moreover, it has been ranked between 151st and 200th in the world for Physics by Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) - Shanghai Jiao Tong University (2015).
These are the 13 faculties in which the university is divided into:
- Faculty of Agricultural Science
- Faculty of Arts and Philosophy
- Faculty of Biotechnological Sciences
- Faculty of Communication Studies
- Faculty of Economics
- Faculty of Educational Science
- Faculty of Foreign Languages and Literatures
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Mathematics, Physics and Natural Science
- Faculty of Medicine and Surgery
- Faculty of Pharmacy
- Faculty of Political Science
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
- Ionian Department of Law and Economics (Taranto)