Super RTL is a German free-to-air television network owned by RTL Disney Fernsehen GmbH & Co. KG (English: RTL Disney Television Limited Partnership), a joint venture between RTL Group and The Walt Disney Company's Walt Disney Direct-to-Consumer and International. Each partner owns 50% of the channel.
On 24 August 1994, with Jeffrey Katzenberg's resignation, a reorganization of Disney Company took place in which Richard Frank became head of newly formed Disney Television and Telecommunications (DTT), which included Walt Disney Television International, which held Disney's Super RTL stake. The RTL Disney Television Limited Partnership was formed in 1995. Super RTL was launched on 28 April 1995. With the Disney-CC/ABC merger led to DTT being split up in April 1996, Walt Disney Television International was transferred to Capital Cities/ABC in that same month. CC/ABC combined the international units, Walt Disney Television International and ACIBG, into Disney–ABC International Television (DAIT) in July.
The Fun & Action Tour, a Germany-wide roadshow event for children, was started in 1997 featuring TV program characters. The tour was later renamed the Toggo Tour. The following year, the channel became the top view channel by the 3-to-13-year-old target age group.
In 1999, the joint venture saw its channel make a net profit of DM 4.5 million, launched its website and started the Super RTL Licensing Agency to make more revenues from TV licensing. A new managing director, Claude Schmit, took charge of the venture in 2000.
Also in 2000, the preschool programming is labeled "Toggolino". Toggolino Club is started in 2002 and offers paid pre-school children education content.
The Toggo umbrella brand 2001 for all activities for 6- to 13-year-old children. In 2002, Sony BMG label, Berlin Records, released the first Toggo Music CD. SuperRTL began using the 'Family Cartoon' rating label in 2006 for family viewing suitable animated films shown on Friday and Saturday night.
In 2005, Super RTL was granted a broadcast license for the preschool pay-TV channel Toggolino TV by the government media regulators. However, Toggolino TV was never launched. Bertelsmann turned over the learning platform Scoyo to Super RTL in 2009. In mid-2013, Super RTL, RTL II and four other RTL channels were available over Zattoo live streaming service under the first deal between a German broadcaster and an over the top platform company.
With the announcement of the launch of a free-to-air German version of Disney Channel causing a loss of Disney programming, Super RTL signed volume deals in October 2013 with Warner Bros. International Television and Sony Pictures Television for a slate of animated features and DreamWorks Animation (DWA) for 1,200 hours of programming until 2020. The DWA deal included shows from the Classic Media library. The channel also acquired programming to expand its views in the evenings with more adult TV shows to debut in its fall 2014 schedule: ABC Family's Pretty Little Liars, ABC's Once Upon a Time and Scandal and Syfy's Lost Girl supernatural series. As of 1 January 2014, Disney programming left the channel, because the broadcast version of Disney Channel (Germany) launched on 17 January. However, Disney will continue holding its stake in the station.
RTL Disney TV LP launched its Kividoo subscription video-on-demand (SVOD) services on 28 April 2015. In February 2016, RTL Disney Television LP received approval for a second channel from the anti-media concentration commission KEK. granted the 10-year license to the company. On 15 March, TRL Disney TV announced that the second channel's name as "Toggo plus" after receiving the broadcast license from media authorities' licensing and supervision commission ZAK. Toggo Plus was planned to launch on 4 June 2016.
Throughout the day, Super RTL is split into 3 different blocks:
- Toggo (2001–present) is the network's children programming block and umbrella brand for ages 6 to 13-year olds. In 2016, its brand and programming was added to a new network, Toggo Plus, while adding another hour in the morning. Toggo with this change, the block will be on 15 hours a day.
- Toggolino airs shows aimed towards a pre-school audience. The brand was first used in 2000.
- Super RTL Primetime (2019–Present) mainly airs reruns of RTL programming or other shows. The block airs from 8:15pm until Midnight.
- 30 Rock
- Böse Mädchen
- Criminal Confessions
- CSI Miami
- House (Dr. House)
- Die Kinderklinik - Familien zwischen Bangen und Hoffen
- On the Case (On the Case - Unter Mordverdacht)
- Robin Hood
- Snapped (Snapped - Wenn Frauen Morden)
- Alvin and the Chipmunks (ALVINNN!!! und die Chipmunks)
- Angelo Rules (Angelo!)
- Barbie Dreamhouse Adventures (Barbie: Traumvilla-Abenteuer)
- Dragons: Race to the Edge (Dragons - Auf zu neuen Ufern)
- Famous 5: On the Case (5 Freunde - Für alle Fälle)
- Grizzy and the Lemmings (Grizzy & die Lemminge)
- Hotel Transylvania: The Series (Hotel Transsilvanien - Die Serie)
- Lego Friends: Girls on a Mission (Friends - Freundinnen auf Mission)
- Lego Jurassic World: Legend of Isla Nublar (Jurassic World - Die Legende der Insel Nublar)
- Inspector Gadget
- The Jungle Bunch (Die Dschungelhelden)
- Mr. Bean: The Animated Series (Mr. Bean - Die Cartoon-Serie)
- Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu (Ninjago)
- Polly Pocket
- Pokémon the Series: Sun and Moon – Ultra Legends (Pokémon - Die TV-Serie: Sonne & Mond - Ultra-Legenden)
- Sally Bollywood: Super Detective (Sally Bollywood)
- Sammy & Co. (Sammy - Kleine Flossen, große Abenteuer)
- Spirit Riding Free (Spirit: Wild und Frei)
- Super Toy Club
- The Tom and Jerry Show (Die Tom und Jerry Show)
- Trolls: The Beat Goes On! (Trolls - Die Party geht weiter!)
- Wild Kratts (Go Wild! Mission Wildnis)
- Woozle Goozle
- Zak Storm (Zak Storm - Super Pirat)
- Zig & Sharko (Zig & Sharko - Meerjungfrauen frisst man nicht!)
- 44 Cats
- Octonauts (Die Oktonauten)
- PAW Patrol (PAW Patrol – Helfer auf vier Pfote)
- Peppa Pig
- Peter Rabbit (Peter Hase)
- Ranger Rob
- Super Wings
- Kividoo: is a subscription video-on-demand (SVOD) services launched on 28 April 2015 with children's shows from Hollywood studio DreamWorks Animation, Studio Hamburg, ZDF Enterprises, HIT Entertainment, BBC Studios and German publishing house Tessloff Verlag.
- Toggo Plus: The Toggo Plus network would time shift Super RTL's Toggo programming block by an hour delay with the Toggo block added another hour in the morning. This network would add another hour after the block's schedule is completed. Infomericals would fill out the remaining time.