Klausen (German pronunciation: [ˈklaʊ̯sn̩]; Italian: Chiusa [ˈkjuːza]; Ladin: Tluses or Tlüses) is a comune (municipality) in South Tyrol in northern Italy, located about 20 kilometres (12 mi) northeast of the city of Bolzano.
As of 30 November 2010, it had a population of 5,144 and an area of 51.4 square kilometres (19.8 sq mi).
Klausen borders the following municipalities: Feldthurns, Lajen, Sarntal, Vahrn, Villanders and Villnöß.
The municipality of Klausen contains the frazioni (subdivisions, mainly villages and hamlets) Gufidaun (Gudon), Latzfons (Lazfons), and Verdings (Verdignes).
Klausen is first mentioned in 1027, in a document issued by emperor Conrad II, as Clausa sub Sabiona sita, meaning chasm below the Säben Abbey.
The emblem represents an argent dexter key on gules. The emblem was used as a seal from 1448, known from 1397 and granted in 1540 by Cardinal Bernhard von Cles, Bishop of Brixen.
According to the 2011 census, 91.30% of the population speak German, 7.88% Italian and 0.81% Ladin as first language.
Twin / associated cities
- Nuremberg (Germany) since 1970
- Planegg (Germany) since 2006