On September 16, 1781, an edict was issued to transform the Governorate into a Viceroyalty (Kievskoye namestnichestvo), with the effective date of January 9, 1782. The Viceroyalty was subdivided into the following counties (uyezds):
Note that some sources state that the towns of Khorol and Gorodishche were included without their districts.
In 1789, Gorodishche county was transferred to the Yekaterinoslav Governorate. In 1791, the Kiev Viceroyalty was subdivided into ten okrugs and in early 1790s additional districts (uyezds) of Bohuslav, Gadyach, Kaniv, Zinkiv, Korsun, and Lokhvytsia were added.
On June 4, 1782, the Coat of Arms of Kiev was officially approved, which de facto became a Coat of Arms of the Viceroyalty. According to the description, Archangel Michael is dressed in silver holding up an aglow sword, depicted on an azure shield.