Grevenbroich (German pronunciation: [ˌɡʁeːvənˈbʁoːx]; known as the "Capital of Energy") is a town in the Rhein-Kreis Neuss, in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. It is situated on the river Erft, approximately 15 km southwest of Neuss and 15 km southeast of Mönchengladbach. The Cistercian Order has a monastery in Langwaden. It is notable for having a wind turbine test park, similar to the Østerild Wind Turbine Test Field, and the Frimmersdorf Power Station, which was one of Europe's least carbon-efficient power stations.
Grevenbroich is about 30 kilometres (19 mi) northwest of Cologne.
Grevenbroich consists of the urban quarters and villages:
- Postal code 41515: Allrath, Barrenstein, Elsen, Fürth, Gewerbegebiet-Ost, Laach, Neu-Elfgen, Noithausen, Orken, Stadtmitte, Südstadt
- Postal code 41516: Busch, Gruissem, Gubisrath, Hemmerden, Hülchrath, Kapellen, Langwaden, Mühlrath, Münchrath, Neubrück, Neukirchen, Neukircher Heide, Tüschenbroich, Vierwinden, Wevelinghoven
- Postal code 41517: Frimmersdorf, Gindorf (population 1,817), Gustorf, Neuenhausen, Neurath
In pop culture
Grevenbroich became widely known as home town of Hape Kerkeling's fictional persona Horst Schlämmer.
- Vincenz Hundhausen (translator of Chinese literature and Peking University professor)
- Bethlehem, dark metal band, often named as the creator of the subgenre.
- [[INLINE_IMAGE|//upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/84/Flag_of_North_Rhine-Westphalia.svg/32px-Flag_of_North_Rhine-Westphalia.svg.png|//upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/84/Flag_of_North_Rhine-Westphalia.svg/48px-Flag_of_North_Rhine-Westphalia.svg.png 1.5x, //upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/84/Flag_of_North_Rhine-Westphalia.svg/64px-Flag_of_North_Rhine-Westphalia.svg.png 2x|Flag of North Rhine-Westphalia.svg|h19|w32|noviewer flagicon-img]] North Rhine-Westphalia portal
- Frimmersdorf Power Station