Scott Yanow of Allmusic states, "From the Heart is a lot of fun, a too-long-forgotten gem that takes the listener back to a more innocent time and provides the perfect setting for Etta Jones to display her vocal wares".
- Recorded at Van Gelder Studio in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey on February 8, 1962 (tracks 1, 5, 7 & 11) and February 9, 1962 (tracks 2-4, 6 & 8-10)
- Etta Jones - vocals
- Lloyd Mayers - piano
- Wally Richardson - guitar
- Bob Bushnell - bass
- Ed Shaughnessy - drums
- horn section added on tracks 3, 4, 8, 10 Joe Wilder - trumpet Jerry Dodgion, Oliver Nelson - alto saxophone Bob Ashton, George Barrow - tenor saxophone
- unidentified string section added on tracks 1, 5, 7 & 11
- Arranged and conducted by Oliver Nelson.