The Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research (EAER, German: Eidgenössisches Departement für Wirtschaft, Bildung und Forschung; French: Département fédéral de l'économie, de la formation et de la recherche; Italian: Dipartimento federale dell'economia, della formazione e della ricerca) is one of the seven departments of the federal government of Switzerland, headed by a member of the Swiss Federal Council.
The department was renamed from Federal Department of Economic Affairs (FDEA) effective on 1 January 2013 based on decisions taken by the Federal Council in 2011.
The Department is composed of the following offices:
- General Secretariat, including the Federal Consumer Affairs Bureau FCAB (responsible for consumer affairs) and the Swiss civilian service agency (ZIVI).
- State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO): Responsible for national and international economic policy, trade negotiations and labour policy.
- State Secretariat for Education, Research and Innovation (SERI).
- Federal Office for Agriculture (FOAG): Responsible for agricultural policy and for direct payments to Swiss farmers.
- Federal Veterinary office (FVO): Responsible for animal welfare and health, the safety of food of animal origin and the implementation of the CITES convention.
- Integration Office (see FDFA above)
- Federal Office for National Economic Supply (FONES): Manages emergency supplies of essential goods and services.
- Federal Housing Office (FHO): Responsible for housing policy.
The following independent authorities are affiliated to the FDEA for administrative purposes:
- Price Supervisor: Price ombudsman and responsible for the supervision of regulated prices.
- Competition Commission: Swiss competition regulator.
- Swiss Federal Institute for Vocational Education and Training (SFIVET): Provides training for vocational education professionals.
Names of the department
- 1848–1872: Department of Trade and Customs
- 1873–1878: Department of Railway and Trade
- 1879–1887: Department of Trade and Agriculture
- 1888–1895: Department of Industry and Agriculture
- 1896–1914: Department of Trade, Industry and Agriculture
- 1915–1978: Department of Economic Affairs
- 1979–2012: Federal Department of Economic Affairs
- 2013–present: Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research
List of heads of the department
- 1848–1853: Friedrich Frey-Herosé
- 1854 only: Wilhelm Matthias Naeff
- 1855 only: Josef Munzinger
- 1855–1856: Constant Fornerod
- 1857 only: Melchior Josef Martin Knüsel
- 1858 only: Constant Fornerod
- 1859–1860: Melchior Josef Martin Knüsel
- 1861–1866: Friedrich Frey-Herosé
- 1867–1873: Wilhelm Matthias Naeff
- 1873–1874: Johann Jakob Scherer
- 1875–1877: Karl Schenk
- 1878 only: Joachim Heer
- 1879–1880: Numa Droz
- 1881 only: Louis Ruchonnet
- 1882–1886: Numa Droz
- 1887–1896: Adolf Deucher
- 1897 only: Adrien Lachenal
- 1898–1902: Adolf Deucher
- 1903 only: Ludwig Forrer
- 1904–1908: Adolf Deucher
- 1909 only: Josef Anton Schobinger
- 1910–1912: Adolf Deucher
- 1912–1934: Edmund Schulthess
- 1934–1940: Hermann Obrecht
- 1940–1947: Walther Stampfli
- 1948–1954: Rodolphe Rubattel
- 1955–1959: Thomas Holenstein
- 1960–1961: Friedrich Traugott Wahlen
- 1961–1969: Hans Schaffner
- 1970–1978: Ernst Brugger
- 1978–1982: Fritz Honegger
- 1983–1986: Kurt Furgler
- 1987–1998: Jean-Pascal Delamuraz
- 1998–2002: Pascal Couchepin
- 2003–2006: Joseph Deiss
- 2006–2010: Doris Leuthard
- 2010-2018: Johann Schneider-Ammann
- Since 2019: Guy Parmelin